Name:
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands

Sunday, March 12, 2006

I am coming out of the closet.....

In 1999, the US Government started a unique 10 year program called "50 State Quarters Program". Every 10 weeks for 10 years, a new state quarter will be released into the US currency population. The quarters are released by state in the order the state joined the Union. This is the first change in the quarter since the bicentennial quarter was issued in 1976, the first time a multi-year, multi-state program has ever been developed and the first time production of the traditional "eagle" quarter has been ceased. The current quarter is Nevada, and Nebraska, Colorado, North Dakota and South Dakota will be issued this year. How do I know so much fascinating information about the quarter? Well, I wanted to be able to explain the start of the next story I am going to share, and it starts with the US quarter....

My dad began collecting the quarters as they were being issued with the intent to create a book for my brother and I. It clearly is not a quick process given that one will have to wait until 2008 / 2009 to even possibly complete the book, but with the elements of searching, finding and passing something down through generations, who could resist such a treasure hunt?? With this in mind, I wondered if I could do something similar in Europe. Perhaps I could collect one of each Euro coin to take back with me to the States?? It would be simple, I figured, cash and change is used here so much more frequently, I probably would have everything that I needed in my purse already - 8 coins, it couldn't be that hard. (or so I thought).

Before converting Derek's parking pass to my car, I walked several blocks from allowable parking place to the apartment. During that walk, I passed what appeared to be a coin / stamp store. One day, I took a chance and stepped into the store and asked the owner if there were any Euro coin books that I could purchase to collect euros during my stay. During that visit, I learned that like the quarter, Euros differ by country, and 12 countries in the European Union have issued euros to date. My simple "collect 1 of each euros coin = 8 coins" idea, had just become "collect 12 country euro coins = 96 euro coins". But, the idea was still good, and like I said, who can pass up a treasure hunt - especially one that just became a little more challenging? (actually, some people CAN pass up such a treasure hunt, I learned as the store owner attempted to sell me a book of all of the Euro coins- uncirculated, never used. Keeping in mind the face value of the coins is under 50 euro, the book cost 250 euros, on sale from 400 euros.... I passed that opportunity, but at least I know it is there if I get desperate :-) I would hate to have to buy the 250 euro book for one Finland penny.

So, I purchased an unfilled coin book for 5 euros and started off by first checking the change in my purchase, the coin jar at home (which contained pennies, 2 cents, and 5 cents), my computer bag, my desk, everywhere I could think of and I came up with about 30 of the coins. Not enough. So, I started paying for things in cash and, for once, was excited when I received change at the grocery store and restaurants. No longer did I dread the grocery store bill of 5.05 as this was the best bill I could ever have to maximize my change. This process helped and added another 10 or more coins to the board, but, still not enough. Then, I was faced with a key question.

I knew the best source to get coins was.... other people. Having the change was not the issue, I had plenty, but what I needed was diversity of change and that just comes from traveling and circulation. I needed access to more change. But to get that access meant I had to tell people what I was doing. What would they think?? Would they laugh?? Don't I already suffer enough stereotypes based on my job?? What will they think if I tell them I am collecting coins?? Can you get more nerdy than that??

Fear of humiliation vs desire to collect all 96 euro coins... desire was the winner. I started telling everyone. People I work with, people at dinner (as I politely ((Todd that is just for you)) check out the change, anyone I can think of. And you know what happened?? People started bringing me their change. Tons of it. I probably could actually finance the purchase of another bike with it!! I arrive at work and my staff have brought in piles of their change from home. Just sitting at my desk. People at the client empty their pockets and show me what they have. Americans that are here give me their euros before they leave. I have become a patron saint of coin collection!!!! I was amazed and impressed and the coin collection has grown even faster than ever. And now, since only the really hard coins in very far away countries are left, when someone brings me their change and we do find something in there, it is just pure excitement.

Now, don't get me wrong, I have not resorted to begging (yet), nor have I resorted to contacting anyone in another country and asking them to send in change (yet). Nor I have actually scheduled a flight to Finland (yet) (the country appearing to be the most difficult to collect), but that all of these remain as options. To date, I just share the story, and see what happens. And I have been impressed with how helpful and willing people are to share their coins. (of course, I trade coins, in case you were wondering, this is not a get rich quick scheme, although that has crossed my mind :).

So, keep your thoughts with me as I continue my quest for collection. I have some more great stories to share about the coin collection, but you have to start here to understand the rest. In case you want to tally, I have about 60 coins collected, that means 36 to go :-) I will keep you updated on how the hunting is going.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home